Best Practices to Disinfect Your Home and Workspace
Cleaning to protect against the coronavirus (COVID-19) is taking on a new urgency.
We’re all intensely cleaning and disinfecting our homes and workspaces, as well as personal items, to stem the spread of the virus.
We’ve all heard the admonishments: wash our hands thoroughly and observe social distancing to control the outbreak.
But transmission of the virus can also occur by touching infected surfaces.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “the coronavirus is transmitted via respiratory droplets, and it may remain viable for hours to days on surfaces made from a variety of materials” (CDC, 2020).
HELP SAVE LIVES! GET VACCINATED!
PROTECT YOURSELF, YOUR CHILDREN, FAMILY, FRIENDS, CO-WORKERS, PETS, AND OTHERS.
I received 2 vaccinations. No problems and no side effects.
I’m glad I did because there’s a new variant of the COVID-19 virus spreading quickly.
When Someone is Sick: Clean and Disinfect Daily
Disinfect your home when someone is sick or if someone who is positive for COVID-19 has been in your home within the last 24 hours.
Disinfecting kills any remaining germs on surfaces and reduces the spread of germs.
Note: This site has a marketing affiliate relationship with advertisements. I may receive a small referral fee or commission if you sign up for services or purchase a product. This allows me to continue to create content.
Hotel Premier Collection 12” King Mattress
Bring hotel luxury home with this instantly cool, members-only mattress. Cooling gel memory foam keeps you comfortable and supported all night long. Also Available in Full, Queen, and California King.
It’s Time For Some Deep Cleaning
This includes regularly disinfecting electronics and electric appliances that are getting more use than normal, especially if you’re homeschooling and working from home.
5 Safety Measures to Use While Cleaning
WEAR DISPOSABLE GLOVES and Throw Them Out After Each Use.
NEVER COMBINE DISINFECTING/CLEANING PRODUCTS.
FOLLOW MANUFACTURER’S INSTRUCTIONS for Application and Proper Ventilation.
RINSE FOOD CONTACT SURFACES with Clear Water and Dry After Disinfecting.
DO NOT USE EXPIRED PRODUCTS.
Identify All High-Touch Areas in Your Home and Workspace
The CDC suggests you clean and disinfect ALL Commonly Touched Hard Surfaces Daily, which can be a breeding ground for germs.
GENERAL: Light Switches, Doorknobs and Handles (Inside and Outside), Stair Rails, Countertops, Faucets, Sinks, and All Kitchen and Bathroom Fixtures.
ELECTRIC APPLIANCES: Refrigerator, Microwave, Oven and Dishwasher Handles/Doors, Coffee Maker
ELECTRONICS: TV Remote Controls, Phones, Tablets, Laptops, Gaming Devices
HOME OFFICE: Desktop Computer, Keyboard, Mouse, Printer, Telephone
What is the Difference Between Sanitizing and Disinfecting?
Sanitizing—Reducing the Number of Germs—is Not the Same as Disinfecting (Killing Germs).
Different cleaning products require different amounts of “wet” time on a surface to reduce or kill germs.
No product can adequately sanitize or disinfect a dirty surface, so make sure you clean—even with plain soap and water or detergent—before you disinfect.
All Cleaning Products Are Not Created Equal
There are plenty of options out there for cleaning and disinfecting, but not all will kill the coronavirus, advises the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
In general, you can count on anything with the brand name Clorox or Lysol to do the job.
How to Decontaminate Nonporous Surfaces
You have to scrub it until the entire surface is wet and then let it dry on its own.
It is critically important to use enough of the disinfectant and give it time to work.
Check all cleaning product labels to know how long hard nonporous surfaces must stay wet for the most effective germ killing.
I use Lysol All Purpose Cleaner Lemon Breeze Scent and Pine Glo Antibacterial Kitchen & Bathroom Cleaner and Disinfectant.
These cleaners can be used on washable, hard, nonporous surfaces of bathtubs, counters, shower stalls, stoves, toilets, bathroom fixtures, exterior surfaces on refrigerators, sinks, garbage cans, highchairs, walls, and floors.
Because liquids evaporate, you may have to re-apply a product multiple times to disinfect it.
Other Household Cleaning Products
Bleach is effective but harsh, so be careful when using it. To Make a Diluted Bleach Solution:
Use 1/3 Cup of Bleach in 1 Gallon of Water or 4 Teaspoons of Bleach in 1 Quart of Water.
Hydrogen Peroxide used directly from the bottle can be used on hard, nonporous surfaces.
Clever Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide
- Disinfect Kitchen Countertops and Cutting Boards.
- Pour a Little Over Your Toothbrush After Every Use.
Make Sanitizing Your Phone A High Priority
Because you probably touch it more than anything else, your smartphone is a high potential carrier of the virus.
Cleaning your phone thoroughly is not easy, though.
There are all sorts of nooks and crannies, delicate glass, and intricate protective cases.
Plus, any moisture could interfere with your phone’s function.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G SmartPhone
The Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G is purposefully crafted so you don’t need to choose between video and photo. With a single tap, you can pull super-clear stills — up to 33MP — straight from high-resolution 8K video.
Or if you’re looking to capture stunning photos, the 108MP camera feels like you’ve brought your own professional studio with you. Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G, designed to be epic in every way.
Apple recommends a gentle wipe with a product that has 70% Isopropyl Alcohol.
Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max (256GB)
The biggest Pro camera system upgrade ever. Super Retina XDR display with ProMotion for a faster, more responsive feel. Lightning-fast A15 Bionic chip. Durable design.
Remove the case so you can clean the entire phone.
Then, sanitize the case too.
After you’ve wiped down the components, allow them to thoroughly dry before reassembling.
LEGO® Ideas Grand Piano Builder Set
Build the first-ever playable LEGO® Grand Piano!
Ways to Disinfect Your Workspace and Electronics
If you’ve been working from home for a while, take the time to clean your work area thoroughly.
To properly disinfect your desk area, power down and unplug all electronics.
Disconnect peripherals from the computer.
Unless otherwise noted, Use Disinfectant Wipes for cleaning.
Before Using Wipes, squeeze the wipe to remove any excess liquid that could drip down into openings and damage circuitry.
DESKTOP: Clear all items, then thoroughly wipe down the entire surface.
Allow cleaning solution to dry before moving items back into place.
KEYBOARD: Clear loose crumbs and dust from the keyboard by gently shaking it upside-down over a trash can or spraying compressed air between the keys.
Wipe on and between keys.
Pay extra attention to often-used keys such as the Space Bar and Enter key.
MOUSE: Clean all sides and the scroll.
LAPTOP or TABLET: Swipe across the touchpad.
MONITOR: Wipe the display with a Microfiber Cloth dampened with a diluted solution of mild dish soap and warm water.
Rinse the cloth with clean water, squeeze out excess moisture, then wipe again to remove any soapy residue.
Avoid Using Paper Towels, Cleaning Rags, Glass Cleaners, and other harsh chemicals.
DESK ACCESSORIES: Use disinfectant wipes to clean items such as your Desk Surface, Desk Lamp, Stapler, Tape Dispenser, Calculator, Scissors, and Most-Used Pens and Markers.
WATER BOTTLES AND COFFEE CUPS: Wash your coffee mug, teacup or water bottle in hot water daily.
Rule of Thumb for Sanitizing and Disinfecting
Sanitizing takes less time—sometimes just 30 to 60 seconds, while Disinfecting can take up to 10 minutes, depending on the product.
I hope this information is helpful for sanitizing and disinfecting your home, personal items, and workspace.
More COVID-19 Resources
Best Practices to Disinfect Your Home and Workspace
Start Promoting Retailer Products on your Web Pages and Earn Commissions. Join the FLEX OFFERS Affiliate Marketing Network Today! You can also Earn Bonuses with the Refer-a-Friend program.
- Great Examples of How to Empower Women and Young Girls
- Amethyst & Diamonds: Perfect Love Match
- Aquamarine Gemstone Jewelry Gift Ideas
- Guide to Writing & Publishing Your eBooks
- The Beauty of Blue Sapphire Gemstone Jewelry for Men & Women
- Interesting Hobby Ideas for Men and Boys
- Creative and Fun Hobby Projects for Adults and Teens
- Useful Guidebooks for Nurses Daily Healthcare Routines
- Inspirational Music Quotes
- Pretty Women in Shades of Pink Outfits & Accessories
- Fragrance Gift Sets for Men and Women
- Positive Benefits of Walking, Jogging, Running
- Guide to Reflective & Relaxful Meditation Practices & Techniques
- Powerful Health & Beauty Benefits of Using Aloe Vera
- Product Reviews: Baby Cribs and Bassinets
- 12 High-Performance Fitness Smart Watches
- Elegant Wedding Invitation Cards for the Bride and Groom
- Advantages of Single Serve Coffee Brewers & K-Cup Coffee Pods
- Digital Photography Techniques & Camera Kits for Beginner & Advanced Photographers
- Guidebooks to Sustaining Love and Healthy Long-Term Relationships
- All-In-One Makeup Kits | Essential Cosmetic Organizers
- Orange-Inspired Dresses, Shirts & Long Cardigan Sweaters for Women
- Nina Simone: American Singer/Songwriter & Pianist
- The Captivating Melodies and Music World of Stevie Wonder
- Maximize Your Blog Business For Profit in 2023
- Tailgate Party Essentials for Entertaining
- Stylish Outdoor Fire Pits and Patio Heaters
- Essential Christmas Songs for the Holiday Season
- Anthology of Hip-Hop & Rap Music
- The Rise of Rap and Hip-Hop Songs
- How to Keep Romance Alive in Love Relationships
- High Quality COPPER Kitchen Cookware & Baking Sets
- Time to Upgrade Your Home Entertainment System
- America’s Popular & Soulful Music Stories
- Flavorful & Soothing Tea Varieties from Around the World
- Healthful Benefits of Eating Protein-Rich Salmon Fish
- Mary J. Blige: Music As Therapy
- Captivating Books & Documentaries About Donald J. Trump
- Black Hair Care: Hair Relaxers, Hydrating Shampoo & Conditioners
- Handsome Men in Pink Shirts
- QUEEN ELIZABETH II: Majesty & Mystery of a British Monarchy
- Serena Williams Legacy—Professional Tennis Player
- Stylish ORANGE Golf Shirts, T-Shirts & Polo Shirts for Men
- Teeth Whitening Kits with LED Light for a Brighter Smile
- Top-Rated CELEBRITY Cookbooks & CHEF’s Cookware
- American-Style BURGERS and Side Dishes
- SANGRIA Red Wine Punch for Brunch, Lunch or Party Time
- Valuable Benefits of Using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC
- 3 Powerful Benefits of Using Managed WordPress Web Hosting
- Traditional Japanese-Style Teas | Tea Pots, Tea Cups & Saucer Sets
Cleaning to protect against the coronavirus (COVID-19) is taking on a new urgency. We’re all intensely cleaning and disinfecting our homes and workspaces, as well as personal items, to stem the spread of the virus. We’ve all heard the admonishments: wash our hands thoroughly and observe social distancing to control the outbreak. But transmission of…