Casual & Athletic Sneaker Product Showcase
Athletic Footwear: The rubber-bottomed athletic shoe whose silent footsteps earned it the name “sneaker” was vulcanized by Charles Goodyear in the 1860s.
Before the turn of the century, rubber was on the soles of leather shoes. And vulcanized rubber soles were being glued to canvas tops to produce what manufacturers advertised as a revolution in athletic footwear.
In 1917, U.S. Rubber introduced Keds, the first popularly marketed sneaker, with a name that suggested “kids” and rhymed with ped, the Latin root for “foot.”
Those first sneakers were neither all white, nor white soles with black canvas; rather, the soles were black and the canvas was a conservative chestnut brown because that was the popular color for men’s leather shoes. The design of sneakers varied little until the early 1960s.
A former college runner and his coach made a serendipitous observation that ushered in the era of the modern waffle-soled sneaker. As a miller at the University of Oregon, Phil Knight had preferred to run in European sneakers, lighter in weight than American models.
Believing that other track and field athletes would opt to better their performances with high-quality footwear, Phil Knight and coach Bill Bowerman went into the sneaker business in 1962, importing top-notch Japanese models.
Suavs All-In-One Sneaker Shoes for Men & Women
The shoes’ reduced weight was an undeniable plus, but Bowerman felt further improvement was possible, especially in the area of traction, a major concern of athletes.
Slip-On Sneaker Mules by Nine West
Many manufacturers relied on the shallow peak-and-trough patterns developed for automotive traction. One morning, operating the waffle iron from his home kitchen, Bill Bowerman was inspired to experiment. Stuffing a piece of rubber into the iron, he heated it, producing a deeply waffle-shaped sole pattern that soon would become a world standard for sneakers.
In addition to the sole, the new sneakers featured three other innovations: a wedged heel, a cushioned mid-sole as protection against shock, and nylon tops that were lighter and more breathable than the older canvas.
To promote the waffle-soled nylon shoes, named Nikes after the winged Greek goddess of victory, Phil Knight turned to runners in the Olympic trials held in Eugene, Oregon, in 1972. Several marathoners raced in their custom-designed shoes, and advertising copy hailed the sneakers as having been on the feet of “four of the top seven finishers,” omitting to mention that the runners who placed first, second, and third were wearing West Germany’s Adidas sneakers.
Waffle-soled sneakers, in a variety of brands, sold so well that by the end of the decade the flatter-soled canvas shoes had been left in the dust (Charles Panati, Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things).
Features multi-layered cushioning with a wedge for added support. Rubber sole with herringbone details. All Star, Limited Edition, and Custom Prints for boys & girls, teens, men & women.
Work Sneakers/Shoes/Boots by Carolina Footwear
Insulated safety toe work sneakers, boots, and shoes; granite steel toe, casual work footwear, construction, miners, oil and gas, emergency management, coal mines, mud boots, police chase on foot, jumping out of airplanes, battles, soldiers, troops, Styles for men, women, and kids.
Converse All Star Sneakers
Classic High-Top and Low-Top Converse Sneakers for Boys, Girls, Men & Women. Choose from a wide variety of colors and designer print styles.
A Breath of Fresh Air! Ideal for those refreshing weekday strolls, Clarks’ comfortable casual shoes make the perfect walking companion anytime you take a breather. Shop Now!
Shoe Warehouse Australia
Sneakers & Shoes for Nurses & Healthcare Workers
Nurse Mates provide quality footwear and apparel for nurses, doctors, medical, healthcare, dentist, clinic, hospital, frontline workers, nursing home, hygienists, caretakers, etc. Nurse Mates has become the trusted, most dependable product source for your workday and for everyday healthy business and casual lifestyles. Professional comfort for all walks of life.
Become an Affiliate Marketer
Earn Commissions by promoting products and services on your websites and blogs.
Start Promoting Retailer Products on your Web Pages and Earn Commissions. Join the FLEX OFFERS Affiliate Marketing Network Today! You can also Earn Bonuses with the Refer-a-Friend program.
Advertisers & Merchants: Join the Share A Sale Affiliate Program
Travel Ready Sneaker Shoes by Suavs
Casual & Athletic Sneaker Product Showcase
- Great Examples of How to Empower Women and Young Girls
- Amethyst & Diamonds: Perfect Love Match
- Aquamarine Gemstone Jewelry Gift Ideas
- Guide to Writing & Publishing Your eBooks
- The Beauty of Blue Sapphire Gemstone Jewelry for Men & Women
- Interesting Hobby Ideas for Men and Boys
- Creative and Fun Hobby Projects for Adults and Teens
- Useful Guidebooks for Nurses Daily Healthcare Routines
- Inspirational Music Quotes
- Pretty Women in Shades of Pink Outfits & Accessories
- Fragrance Gift Sets for Men and Women
- Positive Benefits of Walking, Jogging, Running
- Guide to Reflective & Relaxful Meditation Practices & Techniques
- Powerful Health & Beauty Benefits of Using Aloe Vera
- Product Reviews: Baby Cribs and Bassinets
- 12 High-Performance Fitness Smart Watches
- Elegant Wedding Invitation Cards for the Bride and Groom
- Advantages of Single Serve Coffee Brewers & K-Cup Coffee Pods
- Digital Photography Techniques & Camera Kits for Beginner & Advanced Photographers
- Guidebooks to Sustaining Love and Healthy Long-Term Relationships
- All-In-One Makeup Kits | Essential Cosmetic Organizers
- Orange-Inspired Dresses, Shirts & Long Cardigan Sweaters for Women
- Nina Simone: American Singer/Songwriter & Pianist
- The Captivating Melodies and Music World of Stevie Wonder
- Maximize Your Blog Business For Profit in 2023
- Tailgate Party Essentials for Entertaining
- Stylish Outdoor Fire Pits and Patio Heaters
- Essential Christmas Songs for the Holiday Season
- Anthology of Hip-Hop & Rap Music
- The Rise of Rap and Hip-Hop Songs
- How to Keep Romance Alive in Love Relationships
- High Quality COPPER Kitchen Cookware & Baking Sets
- Time to Upgrade Your Home Entertainment System
- America’s Popular & Soulful Music Stories
- Flavorful & Soothing Tea Varieties from Around the World
- Healthful Benefits of Eating Protein-Rich Salmon Fish
- Mary J. Blige: Music As Therapy
- Captivating Books & Documentaries About Donald J. Trump
- Black Hair Care: Hair Relaxers, Hydrating Shampoo & Conditioners
- Handsome Men in Pink Shirts
- QUEEN ELIZABETH II: Majesty & Mystery of a British Monarchy
Athletic Footwear: The rubber-bottomed athletic shoe whose silent footsteps earned it the name “sneaker” was vulcanized by Charles Goodyear in the 1860s. Before the turn of the century, rubber was on the soles of leather shoes. And vulcanized rubber soles were being glued to canvas tops to produce what manufacturers advertised as a revolution in…