Challenge yourself to see if you can lower your energy costs. Here are some simple steps to keep your electricity budget in your comfort zone.
Higher temperatures lead to higher energy usage. Each year, we see our electric bill climb from the mild springtime.
Don’t Forget the Air Filters
A dirty air filter slows airflow and makes your HVAC unit work harder.
Servicing your system every Spring and Fall can save you as much as 10% on your electric bill.
3M Filtrete Air Filter, Clean Living Basic Dust, 6-Pack – Choose the Right Size.
This site has an affiliate marketing relationship with advertisements. I may receive a small referral fee or commission if you sign up for services or purchase a product. This allows me to continue to create content.
Install a Programmable Thermostat
To optimize your thermostat, set it at 78 degrees during the summer and spring, especially during the day. When you are away from home, automatically adjust the temperature setting. This will help save on your cooling bill.
Honeywell Home 7-Day Programmable Touchscreen Thermostat
Preventing Air Leaks
Don’t forget to check the sealing around doors and windows, including the basement and attic. It is one of the best ways to keep cool air in and warm air out.
Change Your Light Bulbs
Trade your inefficient incandescent bulbs for LEDs. LED light bulbs use just 10% of the energy to produce the same amount of light as their incandescent equivalents. LEDs last up to 20 times longer and use about one-sixth as much electricity.
Save on Home Energy Costs with SYLVANIA LED A19 Light Bulbs, 60W Equivalent, 800 Lumens, Frosted, Daylight – 24 Pack.
If you haven’t done so already, LED pool lights are one of the most straightforward and practical upgrades you can make. LEDs emit a bright white light that makes night swimming safer.
Durable LED pool lights can last over 20,000 hours and might not need replacing for a decade or more. An incandescent bulb’s lifespan is about 5,000 hours. Make the switch.
In most pools, bulb replacement is easy. Simply unscrew your incandescent bulb and install the LED lamp, then monitor your electric bill savings.
LED Pool Light Bulb 120V 40-Watt Color Changing with Remote Control Color Memory Pool Lights for Inground Pool
A ceiling fan can make a room feel 10 degrees cooler and uses only 10% of the energy compared to a traditional air conditioner.
Portage Bay Hugger 52″ Matte Black West Hill 5-Blade Ceiling Fan with Bowl Light Kit for House, Home or Office. LED Bulb included.
Close the Blinds and Curtains
In the summer, most of the sunlight that falls on standard windows enters the home to become heat. Partially closing curtains and blinds on southern-facing and western-facing windows can help reduce daytime heat gain inside your home.
Efficient Home Entertainment
Avoid using gaming consoles to stream movies and television shows. These devices can draw 10 to 25 times more electricity. Try the Amazon Fire Stick, Roku box, or Apple TV.
Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K streaming device with latest Alexa Voice Remote (includes TV controls), Dolby Vision. Compatible with HD TVs and 4K UHD TVs.
Cooking in the Oven
Conventional ovens raise the indoor temperature, forcing your air conditioner to work harder. Plan meals that can be cooked with a microwave, convection or toaster oven, or slow cooker. Better yet, consider cooking outside on the grill.
If you do use the oven, bake several things at once to cut down on the time your oven is on. Do your final food preparation before turning on burners or pre-heating the oven.
Any open hot burner or oven wastes energy. An oven working non-stop to prepare meals gobbles much of the extra power.
Use ceramic or glass cooking pans. You can turn down the oven’s temperature by up to 25 degrees and get the same results. Stagger dishes on upper and lower foil-free racks to allow the oven to run more efficiently.
CorningWare French White 12 Piece Ceramic Bakeware Set
Microwave, Oven, Fridge, Freezer, and Dishwasher Safe | Doesn’t Absorb Food Odors & Stains.
Use suitable burners. If you put a 6-inch pan on an 8-inch burner, more than 40 percent of your heat is wasted.
4 Pack Electric Range Burner Element Unit Set
Let leftover foods cool before refrigerating so the appliance won’t have to work harder.
Running the Dishwasher
According to energy.gov, a dishwasher uses less than half the energy compared to hand washing, which uses much more hot water.
Hot or cold temperatures outside, lights staying on longer and more people at home contribute to the spike in your electric bill.
These simple, inexpensive actions can result in significant savings on your electric bill.
Cost-Cutting Tips to Reduce Your Electric Bill
Share your energy-saving tips to save money on your household electricity. Comment below.
- Camping and Hiking in the Tennessee Mountains
- Virginia Hiking and Camping Adventures
- Guides to Your Next Road Trip Adventure
- Practical Guides to Hiking in Georgia
- How to Start a Successful Airbnb Rental Business
- How to Become a Social Media Influencer
- Hiking and Camping the Pacific West
- Camping and Hiking the Western Region
- Guides to Campground Sites in the U.S. and Canada
- Backpacking, Camping, Hiking New England
- Guides to Mountain Hiking Adventures
- Hiking and Camping Safety Guides
- Inspiring Travel Getaway Destinations
- Exploring the Great Smoky Mountains
- Backpacking Trips with Friends and Family
- Guides to Wine Country Hiking and Wine Tasting Adventures
- Guides to Scenic Waterfalls and Day Hikes
- Guides to Overnight Camping Adventures
- Camping, Hiking, and Mountain Biking in the Blue Ridge Mountains
- Guides to Planning Your Camping and Hiking Trip Adventure
- Guides to Hiking New York and New Jersey
- Guides to Backpacking, Cycling and Hiking Canada
- Guides to Cycling and Hiking in California
- Backpacking and Hiking Safety Guides
- Strategies to Create a Profitable Real Estate Property Investment Business
- Great Examples of How to Empower Women and Young Girls
- Pretty Women in Shades of Pink Outfits & Accessories
- Flavorful & Soothing Tea Varieties from Around the World
- 12 High-Performance Fitness Smart Watches
- Do It Yourself Credit Improvement Process
- Ways to Build Positive Credit
- Guide to Natural Organic Skin Care Treatment Kits
- Discover the Hidden Secrets to Living in Snellville, Georgia
- Moving and Relocating to Atlanta: How to Find Your New Home
- Aquamarine Gemstone Jewelry Gift Ideas
- All-In-One Makeup Kits | Essential Cosmetic Organizers
- Elegant Wedding Invitation Cards for the Bride and Groom
- Getting Engaged and Getting Married
- SANGRIA Red Wine Punch for Brunch, Lunch or Party Time
- Guide to Black Comic Book Creators
- The Captivating Melodies and Music World of Stevie Wonder
- How to Start Your Jewelry-Making Business
- 5 Key Ways to Protect Your Family’s Home Networks
- Cost-Cutting Tips to Reduce Your Electric Bill
- Quintessential Margarita Cocktail Makers & Mixers
- Benefits of Humor and Laughter in Life
- How to Increase Online Fundraiser Donations
- How to Start a Successful Fundraising Campaign
- Top-Rated CELEBRITY Cookbooks & CHEF’s Cookware
- Inspirational Music Quotes
- Guidebooks to Sustaining Love and Healthy Long-Term Relationships
- 3 Powerful Benefits of Using Managed WordPress Web Hosting
- Essential Supplies & Tools for Professional Barbers & Barber Shops
- Tips for Homeowners Selling A House: Quick, Easy Fixes
- Time to Upgrade Your Home Entertainment System
- Creative and Fun Hobby Projects for Adults and Teens
- Interesting Hobby Ideas for Men and Boys
- Techniques and Tips for Engagement & Wedding Photography | Wedding Videographer
- Digital Photography Techniques & Camera Kits for Beginner & Advanced Photographers
- Anthology of Hip-Hop & Rap Music