Cost-Cutting Tips to Reduce Your Electric Bill
- by Teresa Abney
- Posted on January 12, 2023
Challenge yourself to see if you can lower your energy costs. Here are some simple steps to keep your electricity budget in your comfort zone.
Higher temperatures lead to higher energy usage. Each year, we see our electric bill climb from the mild springtime.
|LG PuriCare 50* Pint Dehumidifier|
|27 cu. ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator with Smooth Touch Ice Dispenser – Stainless Look|
|30'' Electric Cooktop with SmoothTouch Controls and Warming Zone|
|LG Smart All-In-One Washer/Dryer|
Don’t Forget the Air Filters
A dirty air filter slows airflow and makes your HVAC unit work harder.
Servicing your system every Spring and Fall can save you as much as 10% on your electric bill.
3M Filtrete Air Filter, Clean Living Basic Dust, 6-Pack – Choose the Right Size.
This site has an affiliate marketing relationship with advertisements. I may receive a small referral fee or commission if you sign up for services or purchase a product. This allows me to continue to create content.
Install a Programmable Thermostat
To optimize your thermostat, set it at 78 degrees during the summer and spring, especially during the day. When you are away from home, automatically adjust the temperature setting. This will help save on your cooling bill.
Honeywell Home 7-Day Programmable Touchscreen Thermostat
|LG Over-the-Range Microwave Oven|
Preventing Air Leaks
Don’t forget to check the sealing around doors and windows, including the basement and attic. It is one of the best ways to keep cool air in and warm air out.
|LG LW6017R: 6,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner | LG USA|
Change Your Light Bulbs
Trade your inefficient incandescent bulbs for LEDs. LED light bulbs use just 10% of the energy to produce the same amount of light as their incandescent equivalents. LEDs last up to 20 times longer and use about one-sixth as much electricity.
Save on Home Energy Costs with SYLVANIA LED A19 Light Bulbs, 60W Equivalent, 800 Lumens, Frosted, Daylight – 24 Pack.
|7.3 cu. ft. Freestanding Electric Double Oven Range with ProBake Convection and EasyClean|
|LG SIGNATURE 5.8 cu. ft. Large Smart Front Load Washer with TurboWash Technology and Black Stainless Steel Finish|
If you haven’t done so already, LED pool lights are one of the most straightforward and practical upgrades you can make. LEDs emit a bright white light that makes night swimming safer.
Durable LED pool lights can last over 20,000 hours and might not need replacing for a decade or more. An incandescent bulb’s lifespan is about 5,000 hours. Make the switch.
In most pools, bulb replacement is easy. Simply unscrew your incandescent bulb and install the LED lamp, then monitor your electric bill savings.
LED Pool Light Bulb 120V 40-Watt Color Changing with Remote Control Color Memory Pool Lights for Inground Pool
|27" IPS UHD 4K Monitor | USB Type-C | LG US Business|
|Brother – IntelliFAX 2840 Laser Fax Machine – Copy/Fax/Print|
A ceiling fan can make a room feel 10 degrees cooler and uses only 10% of the energy compared to a traditional air conditioner.
Portage Bay Hugger 52″ Matte Black West Hill 5-Blade Ceiling Fan with Bowl Light Kit for House, Home or Office. LED Bulb included.
|Acer Swift 3 – 14" Full HD – 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7|
|LG 34 UltraWide WFHD IPS TAA Desktop Monitor | LG US|
Close the Blinds and Curtains
In the summer, most of the sunlight that falls on standard windows enters the home to become heat. Partially closing curtains and blinds on southern-facing and western-facing windows can help reduce daytime heat gain inside your home.
|SmarTech Products 2000 Lumen Rechargeable LED Flashlight and build-in 9000 mAh Power Bank|
|Smartech 250A 6/12V Wheel Automotive Battery Charger, Maintainer, Engine Starter|
|Smartech 8000 Lumen Rechargeable Flashlight 10000 mAH Jump Starter Power Bank|
Efficient Home Entertainment
Avoid using gaming consoles to stream movies and television shows. These devices can draw 10 to 25 times more electricity. Try the Amazon Fire Stick, Roku box, or Apple TV.
Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K streaming device with latest Alexa Voice Remote (includes TV controls), Dolby Vision. Compatible with HD TVs and 4K UHD TVs.
|Acer Aspire 5 – 17.3" Full HD IPS Display – 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 – 8GB DDR4 – 512GB NVMe SSD – Wi-Fi 6 802.11ax|
Cooking in the Oven
Conventional ovens raise the indoor temperature, forcing your air conditioner to work harder. Plan meals that can be cooked with a microwave, convection or toaster oven, or slow cooker. Better yet, consider cooking outside on the grill.
Product Reviews: Powerful Propane Gas and Charcoal Grills
Outdoor Cooking and Grilling Tips For All Seasons
|LG Countertop Microwave Oven|
If you do use the oven, bake several things at once to cut down on the time your oven is on. Do your final food preparation before turning on burners or pre-heating the oven.
Any open hot burner or oven wastes energy. An oven working non-stop to prepare meals gobbles much of the extra power.
|30 Gas Cooktop with 5 cooktop burners and SuperBoil|
Use ceramic or glass cooking pans. You can turn down the oven’s temperature by up to 25 degrees and get the same results. Stagger dishes on upper and lower foil-free racks to allow the oven to run more efficiently.
CorningWare French White 12 Piece Ceramic Bakeware Set
Microwave, Oven, Fridge, Freezer, and Dishwasher Safe | Doesn’t Absorb Food Odors & Stains.
Use suitable burners. If you put a 6-inch pan on an 8-inch burner, more than 40 percent of your heat is wasted.
4 Pack Electric Range Burner Element Unit Set
Let leftover foods cool before refrigerating so the appliance won’t have to work harder.
|11 cu. ft. Bottom Freezer Refrigerator with Door Cooling+ and Multi-Air Flow|
Running the Dishwasher
According to energy.gov, a dishwasher uses less than half the energy compared to hand washing, which uses much more hot water.
Hot or cold temperatures outside, lights staying on longer and more people at home contribute to the spike in your electric bill.
These simple, inexpensive actions can result in significant savings on your electric bill.
Cost-Cutting Tips to Reduce Your Electric Bill
Share your energy-saving tips to save money on your household electricity. Comment below.
- All-In-One Makeup Kits | Essential Cosmetic Organizers
- Guidebooks to Sustaining Love and Healthy Long-Term Relationships
- Digital Photography Techniques & Camera Kits for Beginner & Advanced Photographers
- Influential Women in World History
- How to Start a Successful Fundraising Campaign
- How to Become a Social Media Influencer
- Black Women in History
- Aquamarine Gemstone Jewelry Gift Ideas
- How to Start Your Jewelry-Making Business
- Ways to Create Visually-Appealing Graphics with Canva Pro
- How to Increase Online Fundraiser Donations
- Getting Engaged and Getting Married
- African American History Books
- Recommended Books on Black History
- Two Hearts of Love and Diamonds
- The Wonderful Power of the Cross
- Useful Guidebooks for Nurses Daily Healthcare Routines
- Special Birthday and Anniversary Gift Ideas
- Guide to Natural Organic Skin Care Treatment Kits
- 3 Powerful Benefits of Using Managed WordPress Web Hosting
- Ways to Build Positive Credit
- Positive Benefits of Walking, Jogging, Running
- Benefits of Humor and Laughter in Life
- Interesting Hobby Ideas for Men and Boys
- Great Examples of How to Empower Women and Young Girls
- Amethyst & Diamonds: Perfect Love Match
- Guide to Writing & Publishing Your eBooks
- The Beauty of Blue Sapphire Gemstone Jewelry for Men & Women
- Cost-Cutting Tips to Reduce Your Electric Bill
- Creative and Fun Hobby Projects for Adults and Teens
- Inspirational Music Quotes
- Pretty Women in Shades of Pink Outfits & Accessories
- Fragrance Gift Sets for Men and Women
- Guide to Reflective & Relaxful Meditation Practices & Techniques
- Powerful Health & Beauty Benefits of Using Aloe Vera
- Product Reviews: Baby Cribs and Bassinets
- 12 High-Performance Fitness Smart Watches
- Elegant Wedding Invitation Cards for the Bride and Groom
- Time to Upgrade Your Home Entertainment System
- Best Practices to Disinfect Your Home and Workspace
- How to Improve Your Credit History and Scores
- 5 Key Ways to Protect Your Family’s Home Networks
- Do It Yourself Credit Improvement Process
- Advantages of Single Serve Coffee Brewers & K-Cup Coffee Pods
- Essential Supplies & Tools for Professional Barbers & Barber Shops
- Nina Simone: American Singer/Songwriter & Pianist
- The Captivating Melodies and Music World of Stevie Wonder
- Maximize Your Blog Business For Profit in 2023
- Stylish Outdoor Fire Pits and Patio Heaters
- Essential Christmas Songs for the Holiday Season
- Anthology of Hip-Hop & Rap Music
- The Rise of Rap and Hip-Hop Songs
- How to Keep Romance Alive in Love Relationships
- Flavorful & Soothing Tea Varieties from Around the World
- Serena Williams Legacy—Professional Tennis Player
- Top-Rated CELEBRITY Cookbooks & CHEF’s Cookware
- SANGRIA Red Wine Punch for Brunch, Lunch or Party Time
- Techniques and Tips for Engagement & Wedding Photography | Wedding Videographer
- Quintessential Margarita Cocktail Makers & Mixers
- Expert Hairstyling Tools for All Types of Hair
Challenge yourself to see if you can lower your energy costs. Here are some simple steps to keep your electricity budget in your comfort zone. Higher temperatures lead to higher energy usage. Each year, we see our electric bill climb from the mild springtime. $ 399.00 SalePrice $ 299.99 RegularPrice LG PuriCare 50* Pint Dehumidifier…