5 Key Ways to Protect Your Family’s Home Networks
To protect your home network and your family, you need to have the right tools in place and confidence that family members can use the internet more safely and securely.
Most households now run networks of devices linked to the internet, including computers, gaming systems, TVs, tablets, smartphones, and wearable devices that access wireless networks.
Cyber Safety Starts at Home
With everyone in the family using the internet to engage in social media, adjust the home thermostat or shop for the latest game, it is vital to ensure that the entire household—including children and older adults—learns to use the internet safely and responsibly.
#CyberAware: Who is the Chief Security Officer in the Family?
- 34% of Teens Say They Are
- 24% of Teens Say Dad Is
- 18% of Teens Say Mom Is
According to the National Cyber Security Alliance:
- 42% of boys say they are the most knowledgeable person at home on cybersecurity and privacy versus 27% of girls.
- 25% of girls say their mom is the most knowledgeable person in the household compared to 11% of boys.
5 Tips to Secure Your Online Networks
- Keep security software current: Having the latest security software, web browser, and operating system is the best defense against viruses, malware, and other online threats.
- Protect all devices that connect to the internet: Along with computers, smartphones, gaming systems, and other web-enabled devices also need protection from viruses and malware.
- Plug & scan: USBs and other external devices can be infected by viruses and malware. Use your security software to scan them.
- Protect your $$: When banking and shopping, check to ensure the sites are security enabled. Look for web addresses with “https://,” which means the site takes extra measures to help secure your information. “Http://” is not secure.
- Back it up: Protect your valuable work, music, photos, and other digital information by making electronic copies of your important files and storing them safely.
Secure Your Wireless Router
A wireless network means connecting an internet access point—such as a cable or DSL modem—to a wireless router.
Going wireless is a convenient way to allow multiple devices to connect to the internet from different areas of your home.
However, unless you secure your router, you’re vulnerable to people accessing the information on your computer, using your internet service for free, and potentially using your network to commit cybercrimes.
5 Tips to Secure Your Wireless Router
1. Change the name of your router: The default ID – called a service set identifier” (SSID) or “extended service set identifier” (ESSID ) – is assigned by the manufacturer. Change your router to a name that is unique to you and won’t be easily guessed by others.
2. Change the preset passphrase on your router: Leaving a default passphrase unchanged makes it much easier for hackers to access your network. You should change it as soon as possible. A strong passphrase is a sentence that is at least 12 characters long. Focus on positive sentences or phrases that you like to think about and are easy to remember (for example, “I love country music.”). On many sites, you can even use spaces!
3. Review security options: When choosing your router’s level of security, opt for WPA2, if available, or WPA – these levels are more secure than the WEP option.
4. Create a guest passphrase: Some routers allow for guests to use networks via separate guest passphrases. If you have many visitors to your home, it’s a good idea to set up a guest network.
5. Use a firewall: Firewalls help keep hackers from using your device to send out your personal information without your permission. While antivirus software scans incoming emails and files, a firewall is like a guard, watching for attempts to access your system and blocking communications with sources you don’t permit. Your operating system and/or security software likely comes with a pre-installed firewall, but make sure you turn on these features.
|EZVIZ C3X – network surveillance camera|
|EZVIZ LC1C – network surveillance camera|
#HomeMatters: Protect Your HOME Like a Pro
- Keep an eye on your home or office from your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
- With SimpliSafe Doorbell Pro, you can get alerts on your phone for all activity.
- The Ring Video Doorbell alerts you when someone is at the door even if they don’t ring the bell like UPS, FedEx, and Amazon Prime package deliveries.
- Perfect for condominiums, townhouses, brownstones, single-family homes, old homes and new homes. Smart motion detection, two-way audio.
- Easy setup; requires a Wi-Fi connection.
- SimpliSafe security systems detect unusual activity. You can see what happened before, during, and after your camera detects activity at your front door, porch, driveway, etc.
- Unlimited video recording. Record anytime at the push of a button.
- Video Doorbell works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple Watch, August Locks and Nest Thermostat. Mobile app
- No phone line needed.
The SimpliSafe Pro Wi-Fi Video Doorbell alerts you when someone’s at the door, even if they don’t ring the bell. Boasting a super wide field of view, this video doorbell ensures that you’ll be able to see everything happening at your doorway in the bright light of day or dark of night—in perfectly crisp 1080p HD.
Business Matters: Protect Your BUSINESS Like a Pro
SimpliSafe offers home and business security systems, indoor cameras, HD security video cameras, outdoor kits with a weatherized wet suit to keep out rain, snow, polen, and dust.
Motion sensors, video doorbells, smartlocks for a single location, multi-site businesses, retail storefronts, multiple entrances and windows like restaurants, diners, coffee shops.
|AVerMedia Live Streamer CAM 513 – live streaming camera|
Help Make Your Home and Business a Safe Digital Haven by Protecting Networks, Devices, and Online Lives with these Tips:
Lock Down Your Log-In Information
- Fortify your online accounts by enabling the strongest authentication tools available, such as biometrics, security keys, or a unique one-time code through an app on your mobile device.
- Your usernames and passwords are not enough to protect key accounts like email, banking, and social media.
Keep a Clean Machine
- Keep all software on internet-connected devices—including personal computers, smartphones, and tablets—up to date to reduce the risk of infection from ransomware and malware.
- Configure your devices to update automatically or to notify you when an update is available.
Your Online and Social Media Presence
- The moment you turn on a new “smart” device or sign up for a new online account, configure your privacy and security settings.
- Most devices and accounts default to the least secure settings—so take a moment to configure those privacy and security settings on websites to your comfort level for information sharing.
- Disable any features you don’t need. It’s okay to limit how and with whom you share information.
Your Personal Information
- When completing a profile for an account, you don’t have to fill in everything. Limit what information you put online.
- If it isn’t required, don’t add it.
- Information about you, such as purchase history or location, has value—just like money.
- Be thoughtful about who gets that information and how it’s collected by apps and websites.
Sharing Your Personal Photos
- Share with care. Think before posting about yourself and others online.
- Consider what a post reveals, who might see it, and how it could be perceived now and in the future.
When In Doubt, Throw It Out
- Cybercriminals often use email links to try to steal your personal information.
- Even if you know the source, if something looks suspicious, delete it.
Get Involved on Social Media. Use the #CyberAware hashtag in your posts.
For more information, visit the National CyberSecurity Alliance website
More Cyber Security Resources:
Start Promoting Retailer Products on your Web Pages and Earn Commissions. Join the FLEX OFFERS Affiliate Marketing Network Today! You can also Earn Bonuses with the Refer-a-Friend program.
5 Key Ways to Protect Your Family’s Home Networks
- Powerful Health & Beauty Benefits of Using Aloe Vera
- Mary J. Blige: Music As Therapy
- Handsome Men in Pink Shirts
- Guide to Reflective & Relaxful Meditation Practices & Techniques
- Pretty Women in Shades of Pink Outfits & Accessories
- The Beauty of Blue Sapphire Gemstone Jewelry for Men & Women
- Orange-Inspired Dresses, Shirts & Long Cardigan Sweaters for Women
- QUEEN ELIZABETH II: Majesty & Mystery of a British Monarchy
- Serena Williams Legacy—Professional Tennis Player
- Tailgate Party Essentials for Entertaining
- High Quality COPPER Kitchen Cookware & Baking Sets
- Healthful Benefits of Eating Protein-Rich Salmon Fish
- Stylish ORANGE Golf Shirts, T-Shirts & Polo Shirts for Men
- Teeth Whitening Kits with LED Light for a Brighter Smile
- Top-Rated CELEBRITY Cookbooks & CHEF’s Cookware
- American-Style BURGERS and Side Dishes
- SANGRIA Red Wine Punch for Brunch, Lunch or Party Time
- Positive Benefits of Walking, Jogging, Running
- Valuable Benefits of Using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC
- Advantages of Single Serve Coffee Brewers & K-Cup Coffee Pods
- 3 Powerful Benefits of Using Managed WordPress Web Hosting
- Traditional Japanese-Style Teas | Tea Pots, Tea Cups & Saucer Sets
- Flavorful & Soothing Tea Varieties from Around the World
- Techniques and Tips for Engagement & Wedding Photography | Wedding Videographer
- Digital Photography Techniques & Camera Kits for Beginner & Advanced Photographers
- Quintessential Margarita Cocktail Makers & Mixers
- Popular Beauty-Boosting Products Under $50.00
- Exquisitely Crafted Tea Kettles | Tea Cup Sets | Modern Tea Pots
- Fashion Denim Jean Jackets & Clear Backpacks for Boys & Girls
- 12 High-Performance Fitness Smart Watches
- Guide to Natural Organic Skin Care Treatment Kits
- Product Reviews: Luxury Massage Chairs and Chic Recliners
- Miniature & Full-Size Soap Bars for Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Expert Hairstyling Tools for All Types of Hair
- Essential Supplies & Tools for Professional Barbers & Barber Shops
- Beauty Trend: Airbrush Makeup Kits for Beginners & Professionals
- All-In-One Makeup Kits | Essential Cosmetic Organizers
- Impressive Housewarming and Wedding Gift Ideas for 2022
- Transparent Backpacks to Meet School Safety & Security Requirements
- Natural JADE Statues & Figurines | JADE Jewelry | JADE Gift Sets
- Beauty Trend: Lip Plumpers to Create Fuller Natural-Looking Lips
- Black Hair Care: Hair Relaxers, Hydrating Shampoo & Conditioners
- Techniques and Tips on Salmon Fishing
- Luxurious Face Creams & Exfoliating Body Scrubs
- Men’s Daily Body, Hair & Skincare Essentials
- Money Matters: Insider Tips to Buying a Home
- How to Rapidly Spot Identity Theft
- How to Improve Your Credit History and Scores
- Cost-Cutting Tips to Reduce Your Electric Bill
- Lucrative Home-Based & Small Business Ideas for 2022
- Money Matters: Earn Cash Back With Rakuten
- Discover the Hidden Secrets to Living in Snellville, Georgia
- Professional Tools for Asian Barber Shops, Asian Hair Salons, Asian Hair Stylists
- Astonishing Saxophone Cover Versions of Popular R&B Songs
- Outdoor Cooking and Grilling Tips For All Seasons
- Moving and Relocating to Atlanta: How to Find Your New Home
- Trendy Electronic Devices & Gift Ideas For Men
- Product Reviews: Powerful Propane Gas and Charcoal Grills
- Maximize Your Blog Business For Profit in 2022
- Product Reviews: Luxurious Spas, Hot Tubs and Saunas
- Product Reviews: Luxury Outdoor Patio Lounge Sets
- Launch and Grow Your Home Gardening Project
- Guide to Writing & Launching Your Best-Seller eBooks in 2022
- Time to Upgrade Your Home Entertainment System
- 7 Travel Security Tips
- Commercial Tea and Coffee Brewers | Cold Beverage Systems
- Product Reviews: Most Favorable Baby Cribs and Bassinets
- Product Reviews: Highest Rated Luggage Sets and Travel Bags
- Product Reviews: High Performance Digital Cameras and Video Camcorders
- Money Matters: Tracking Your Income and Expenses
- Stylish Outdoor Fire Pits and Patio Heaters
- Social Media Tips to Increase Your Freelance Writing Success
- Guide to Government Grant Funds in Georgia
- Aquamarine Gemstone Jewelry Gifts For Pisces & Aries
- Wood and Metal Benches For Home and Outdoor Recreation
- Renting vs Owning a Home
- 6 Tips For Great Sleep
- Amethyst, Aquarians & Diamonds: Perfect Love Match
- Product Reviews 2022: Best-Selling Popular GUITAR Recommendations
- 77 Ways to Pay It Forward and Change Lives in 2022
- Tips for Homeowners Selling A House: Quick, Easy Fixes
- The Key to Success is Using Valuable Business Strategies
- 40 Successful Email Marketing Tips and Strategies to Connect with People
- Boost Your Limited Thinking With Affluent Thoughts
- Money Matters: Guide to Blogging For Dollars
- Guide to Finding, Writing & Submitting Grant Proposals
- How to Earn Full-Time Income From Blogging
- Mystery and Suspense Writing: How to Set the Scene
- What Does Compassion and Respect Mean To You?
- Challenge Boys and Girls with LEGO Educational Builder Sets
- Festive Red Holiday Gift Guide
- New Style Handbags & Shoulder Bags for Women
- Lovely Unique Gift Baskets For All Occasions
- 5 Key Ways to Protect Your Family’s Home Networks
- Iconic LEGO Builder Sets and Kits For All Ages
- Build Your Classic Car and Auto Show With LEGO Sets
- Classic UGG® Boots and House Slippers For Women and Men
- Elegant Wedding Invitation Cards for the Bride and Groom
- Essential Things to Know About Cat, Dog and Horse Pet Care
- Country Music: Take a Glance Back Down Memory Lane
To protect your home network and your family, you need to have the right tools in place and confidence that family members can use the internet more safely and securely. Most households now run networks of devices linked to the internet, including computers, gaming systems, TVs, tablets, smartphones, and wearable devices that access wireless networks.…