Your Credit Report History Matters as Much as Your Credit Score. Mistakes in Your Reports Could Hurt Your History and Scores.
Credit card companies, banks, mortgage companies, auto loans, insurance companies, landlords, and employers use credit reports to check your credit history before deciding on doing business with you.
They know that if you were responsible in the past, you are likely to be accountable in the future.
Where Do Credit Scores Come From?
Your Credit Scores are Generally Based on Information in Your Credit Reports.
Many Scores Range From 300 to 850, But Different Companies Use Different Ranges.
This Information is Reported By Your Lenders To Credit Reporting Agencies.
The Three Biggest Credit Bureaus are Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.
Why Are There Different Credit Scores?
You Can Have More Than One Credit Score Because:
Lenders Use Different Scores For Different Products
There Are Different Credit Scoring Formulas
Information Can Come From Different Credit Reporting Sources
For Example, a Credit Card Score could be Different from an Auto Loan Score or Home Loan Score.
For some people, these differences are not that big.
But, because lenders use different scores, you might qualify for lower rates with one lender and not another.
Why You Should Strive for a Higher Credit Score
The higher your score is, the more likely you are to get a loan.
If you have a low score and manage to get approved for credit, then your interest rate will be much higher than someone with good credit.
Your monthly loan and credit card payments can easily be 40% higher with a low score.
A higher credit score can save you an enormous amount of money over the life of your mortgage, auto loan, or credit card.
A Higher Credit Score Makes It Easier to Qualify for a Loan and Lower Interest Rates.
Banks, Credit Card Companies, and Other Businesses Use Credit Scores to Estimate How Likely You Are to Pay Back Money You Borrow.
How Your FICO Score Affects Your Interest Rate
FICO stands for Fair, Isaac & Co. They’re the ones who created the mathematical formula used to calculate what is commonly called the FICO score.
FICO helps banks, credit card issuers, auto loan companies, and other lenders decide if you are a credit risk.
Thus, a credit score of 720 or higher is the magic number to strive for.
Variables That Affect Your Credit Score
How Many Credit Accounts You Have
How Long You Have Had Those Accounts
How Close You Are To Your Credit Limit
How Often Your Payments Have Been Late
How Your Credit Score Affects the Cost of Purchasing a Car
Here is an Eye-Opening Example:
Roy and Regina have two different credit scores, and they both want to purchase a brand new Toyota Camry for $23,000 for a 66-Month Term.
Here’s what it will cost each of them:
|Credit Score: 730||Credit Score: 599|
|Interest Rate: 1.99%||Interest Rate: 14.99%|
|Monthly Payment: $368.22||Monthly Payment: $513.97|
|Total Interest Paid: $1,302.39||Total Interest Paid: $10,921.44|
|Total Payments: $24,302.39||Total Payments: $33,921.44|
Note that Regina pays $9,616.05 MORE than Roy for the same car and price.
This same thing happens with your credit cards, mortgage, and other loans.
Swiftly improving your credit will lower your bills and can save you hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Tips on How To Boost Your Credit Score
A Long Credit History Helps Your Score. Credit scores are based on experience over time. Your score improves the longer you have credit, open different types of accounts, and pay back what you owe on time.
Paying Your Bills On Time
The most significant impact on your credit score is paying your bills on time. One way to make sure your payments are on time is to set up automatic payments or set up electronic reminders. If you have missed payments, get current and stay current.
Be Careful Closing Accounts
If you close some credit card accounts and put most or all of your credit card balances onto one card, it may hurt your credit score if you are using a high percentage of your total credit limit. Frequently opening accounts and transferring balances can hurt your score too.
Do Not Get Close to Your Credit Limit
Credit scoring models look at how close you are to being “maxed out.”
Try to keep your balances low in proportion to your overall credit limit.
Experts advise keeping your use of credit at no more than 30% of your total credit limit.
Only Apply For Credit You Need
Credit scores look at your recent credit activity as an indicator of your need for credit.
If you apply for a lot of credit over a short period, it may appear that your money situation has changed for the worse.
Need to Re-Build Your Credit or Establish New Credit in your name. Start with a Secured Credit Card with a $200.00 deposit. No Credit Score Requirement. Easy application process. Click Here to Apply. Note: Must have no active bankruptcy. Make your monthly payments on time each month, and you will build a positive credit history.
Review Your Credit Reports Pronto
When you get your reports from the three credit bureaus, look for:
Mistakes in Your Name, Phone Number, and Address.
Loans, Credit Cards, or Other Accounts That Are Not Yours
Reports That You Paid Late When You Paid On Time
Accounts You Closed That Are Listed As Open
The Same Item Showing Up More Than Once (Like an Unpaid Debt)
How to Fix Credit Report Errors and Negative Information
If you find something wrong in your credit report, you should contact the credit bureau(s). Explain what you think is wrong and why. Include copies of documents that support your dispute.
Don’t Have Perfect Credit?
No worries! You can have damaging misinformation removed from your reports, lower your payments, and raise your credit score higher to get the loan that you want at the low-interest rates you deserve.
All it takes is perseverance, a positive attitude, and knowledge.
Correcting mistakes on a credit report to improve an undesirable credit score takes time, and it’s your responsibility to correct errors that may appear on your accounts.
To do this, you must regularly review your credit reports.
More Credit Resources
How to Improve Your Credit History and Scores
- Camping and Hiking in the Tennessee Mountains
- Virginia Hiking and Camping Adventures
- Guides to Your Next Road Trip Adventure
- Practical Guides to Hiking in Georgia
- How to Start a Successful Airbnb Rental Business
- How to Become a Social Media Influencer
- Hiking and Camping the Pacific West
- Camping and Hiking the Western Region
- Guides to Campground Sites in the U.S. and Canada
- Backpacking, Camping, Hiking New England
- Guides to Mountain Hiking Adventures
- Hiking and Camping Safety Guides
- Inspiring Travel Getaway Destinations
- Exploring the Great Smoky Mountains
- Backpacking Trips with Friends and Family
- Guides to Wine Country Hiking and Wine Tasting Adventures
- Guides to Scenic Waterfalls and Day Hikes
- Guides to Overnight Camping Adventures
- Camping, Hiking, and Mountain Biking in the Blue Ridge Mountains
- Guides to Planning Your Camping and Hiking Trip Adventure
- Guides to Hiking New York and New Jersey
- Guides to Backpacking, Cycling and Hiking Canada
- Guides to Cycling and Hiking in California
- Backpacking and Hiking Safety Guides
- Strategies to Create a Profitable Real Estate Property Investment Business
- Great Examples of How to Empower Women and Young Girls
- Pretty Women in Shades of Pink Outfits & Accessories
- Flavorful & Soothing Tea Varieties from Around the World
- 12 High-Performance Fitness Smart Watches
- Do It Yourself Credit Improvement Process
- Ways to Build Positive Credit
- Guide to Natural Organic Skin Care Treatment Kits
- Discover the Hidden Secrets to Living in Snellville, Georgia
- Moving and Relocating to Atlanta: How to Find Your New Home
- Aquamarine Gemstone Jewelry Gift Ideas
- All-In-One Makeup Kits | Essential Cosmetic Organizers
- Elegant Wedding Invitation Cards for the Bride and Groom
- Getting Engaged and Getting Married
- SANGRIA Red Wine Punch for Brunch, Lunch or Party Time
- Guide to Black Comic Book Creators
- The Captivating Melodies and Music World of Stevie Wonder
- How to Start Your Jewelry-Making Business
- 5 Key Ways to Protect Your Family’s Home Networks
- Cost-Cutting Tips to Reduce Your Electric Bill
- Quintessential Margarita Cocktail Makers & Mixers
- Benefits of Humor and Laughter in Life
- How to Increase Online Fundraiser Donations
- How to Start a Successful Fundraising Campaign
- Top-Rated CELEBRITY Cookbooks & CHEF’s Cookware
- Inspirational Music Quotes
- Guidebooks to Sustaining Love and Healthy Long-Term Relationships
- 3 Powerful Benefits of Using Managed WordPress Web Hosting
- Essential Supplies & Tools for Professional Barbers & Barber Shops
- Tips for Homeowners Selling A House: Quick, Easy Fixes
- Time to Upgrade Your Home Entertainment System
- Creative and Fun Hobby Projects for Adults and Teens
- Interesting Hobby Ideas for Men and Boys
- Techniques and Tips for Engagement & Wedding Photography | Wedding Videographer
- Digital Photography Techniques & Camera Kits for Beginner & Advanced Photographers
- Anthology of Hip-Hop & Rap Music